O35B’s climb to top 4 with 7 – 2 thrashing of Waverley Old Boys

Dunbar Over 35Bs completed the Waverley double in consecutive weeks with a comfortable 7-2 victory against the club’s A team at NCIE.

After a run of three straight victories, Dunbar entered the game full of confidence against the league’s bottom club.

The game got off to a scrappy start with neither side seemingly able the string more than three or four paces together. That said, it was Dunbar asking the questions with a couple of speculative efforts and Marko forcing the Waverley keeper to make a smart save with a shot across goal.

Slowly growing into the game the first goal came on the 20 minute mark. A neat through from Gauty was destined to be picked up my Marko, but was inadvertently knocked in off the post for an own goal by the covering defender.

Expecting to push on from that, Dunbar were hit by a classic counter attack. With the ball breaking down in the Waverley box, a quick pass and a long ball over the top caught the Dunbar defence square and the striker was able to lob over Taggy, who got something on the ball it wasn’t enough to prevent the equaliser.

Waverley almost did the same again, this time from the left channel but Taggy made a strong save low to his right to prevent a certain goal.

Growing in confidence Waverley were pressing and looked comfortable in possession, belying their lowly position on the ladder.

With the game delicately poised, Dunbar went for the direct route to grab the lead. A long goal kick from Taggy was misjudged by the Waverley centre half and his header fell perfectly for Marko to smash home his first of the game.

But Waverley were not giving up easily and won themselves a corner with about 10 minutes of the half remaining. Whipped into the near post, the ball evaded everyone with the final touch coming off Scotty Sadler for the second own goal of the game, which epitomised the scrappy nature of the half.

With half time fast approaching Dunbar went back on the attack. Graham White picked up the ball in midfield and played a wide ball to Owen Cousins. With defenders covering Owen cut inside and played it back to White, who then played a quick one two with Gauty before driving home from the edge of the box to give Dunbar a 3-2 advantage at the break.

The second half was a different story, with a much more dominant display, keeping possession and playing through the channels. It was from a move down the right that the fourth goal arrived. Racing into the box Marko cut back for White to get a shot off. Saved by the keeper White was the first to react but in picking up the loose ball a late Waverley tackle saw the ref award a penalty. Up stepped Marko to bag his second of the game and his tenth of the season.

With a two goal cushion for the first time in the match Dunbar took the game to Waverley and it wasn’t long before the fifth arrived. This time the forever young Giggsy played a neat one two with White before threading an inch perfect through ball to Marko who made no mistake from 12 yards to complete his hat trick.

But not satisfied with three goals, about 10 minutes later Marko bagged his fourth from the penalty spot. Again Marko played in White, who was just about to pull the trigger from six yards when he was upended by the centre half – who was rightly shown the red card for his troubles.

At 6-2 and the game well and truly over, there was still time for the industrious Gauty to get himself on the scoresheet. With the ball bouncing around the edge of the 18 yard box Giggsy found some space to get a shot away. However, it struck a Waverley defender but fell perfectly for Gauty, who calmly slotted home.

Shortly after that Dunbar were celebrating what they thought was the eighth, when Boris neatly slotted home. But a mystery to everyone on the park was when the ref disallowed it for an infringement by Giggsy, who by this stage was too tired to push anything over.

So it remained 7-2 at the final whistle.

A much better second half and credit again to Marko for another excellent display of finishing and taking his season tally to 12. An early claim for the golden boot!!

With four wins on the trot, Dunbar head into a double weekender, weather permitting, with a rearranged game against basement dwellers Locomotive Cove at 9am on Saturday and Maroubra on Sunday. If we can pick up maximum points from both games we will solidify ourselves in the top four.


Marko Vuckovic
Marko Vuckovic
Graham White
Marko Vuckovic
Marko Vuckovic
Marko Vuckovic
Simon Gaut